Tonight, I converted a healthy punnet of fresh strawberries into scrumptious Strawberry and Macadamia Muffins with dubious nutritional worth.
Not so long ago, I could well have called these “Healthy” without a second thought. No guilt whatsoever… just like banana cake.
However, thanks to the wowsers, “healthy” has now been redefined. No matter how well you disguise it, anything with refined sugar is now evil! This means, of course, that even though my muffins are overflowing with fresh strawberries and macadamia nuts, they’re now “from the wrong side of the tracks”.
Just like me!
I’m usually not just adding evil sugar to my recipes, but also that evil of evils…chocolate!
Indeed, I was sorely tempted to add white or dark chocolate chips to these muffins but resisted.I wanted the strawberries to be the hero. I didn’t want to sacrifice their flavour to the chocolate and see how the muffins went without it.
We didn’t miss the chocolate. We ate our muffins hot straight out of the oven. With their lush strawberry flavour and macadamia nut crunch, they were scrumptious.
These muffins would make a delicious treat with a refreshing cup of tea, with enough goodness to escape being what I’d call an “indulgence” and you don’t have to feel too guilty after all.
After all, strawberries are packed full of goodness. They’re an excellent source of antioxidant-promoting vitamin C and manganese. They are also a very good source of dietary fiber, iodine, and folate. Plus, strawberries are a good source of copper, potassium, biotin, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin B6, and omega-3 fatty acids.
All that goodness tells me, it’s time to go and grab seconds before I miss out!
Strawberry & Macadamia Nut Muffins
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) milk
- 80 grams butter, melted (1/3 cup or 5 1/3 Tbsp.)
- 1 large egg
- 475 grams sifted flour (2 cups)
- 160 grams caster sugar (2/3 cup)
- 2 teas baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 punnet fresh strawberries
- 120 grams chopped macadamia nuts
- Extra castor sugar & chopped macadamia nuts for topping.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (400°F)
- Grease the bottoms only of 12 standard-size muffin cups, or line with paper wrappers; set aside.
- Finely chop all but 3 of the strawberries and put aside.
- Finely chop roasted Macadamia nuts.
- Melt butter in the microwave on high for around a minute.
- In a large bowl, beat together the milk, melted butter, and egg.
- Stir in the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt just until combined; do not overmix.
- Gently fold in the strawberries and macadamia nuts.
- Hull and slice through strawberries and place a slice on top of each muffin.
- Roughly chop Macadamia nuts and sprinkle around the slice of strawberry.
- Sprinkle the top of each muffin finely with castor sugar.
- Spoon batter into the prepared tins; sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden and puffed.
- Immediately invert onto wire racks.
- Serve warm or cool.
Enjoy with Love!