“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
Welcome to the latest installment in my series of Motivational Quotes for writers. We’re moving quickly through the alphabet and now we’re already up to O. The word for today is Optimism, which I believe is an important ingredient for getting that book project finished. After all, if you don’t believe you’re good enough and have what it takes to get through to the end, why get started at all? You’d be much better off staying in your day job.
Here’s a few more quotes I came across:
“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an
optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”
“Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to
convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom
otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but
don’t hang around long enough for his or her bad
attitude to pull you down. Instead, surround yourself
with optimistic people.”
However, how do we retain our optimism in the face of repeated knock backs and defeats?
- Believe in yourself.
- Break the task down into smaller, more achievable chunks.
- Take some classes and skill up.
- Ask someone we trust for advice.
- Keep thinking laterally and looking for the opportunity. There’s more than one way to skin a cat.
- Keep writing. Set yourself a daily word limit to reach or a length of time to write. I don’t do this but I’ve read this recommendation a lot.
- Read some books, watch some people. Open your eyes and ears and constantly be on the look out for new ideas, observations, details which could help a story along down the track.
- Keep a small notebook for ideas with you.
I hope this encourages you all to feel more optimistic and positive about your writing and now we all just need to get out there and do it!
Do you have anything else to add? I’d love to hear from you!